How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Martin Your Own Question

Martin, Engineer
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 4776
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...
Martin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I overheated pancakes in the microwave and the plastic microwave

This answer was rated:

I overheated pancakes in the microwave and the plastic microwave splatter-guard that they were on melted, smoked and filled my kitchen with a horrible stench. How do I get rid of the smell in my microwave and house?
HelloCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

As you already washed lot of stuff i would try something like this. I would also let the microwave take the air outside as it's probably a cause of the persistence of the odor by now. Once outside i would try to wash it with barely dilute hydrogen peroxide (don't wash all the stuff with it even if you like the result, this can cause major loss of color).

Close the other doors often in the house so that the odor don't migrate there.

Sometime only on the next repainting of the place odor will start to go away when smoke caused it.

Continue to let air flow in the place (especially on a day that rain as the air will be charged with ozone).

Edited by Martin on 12/4/2009 at 3:32 PM EST
Martin and 55 other General Specialists are ready to help you