Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

I overheated pancakes in the microwave and the plastic microwave

I overheated pancakes in the microwave and the plastic microwave splatter-guard that they were on melted, smoked and filled my kitchen with a horrible stench. How do I get rid of the smell in my microwave and house?
HelloCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

As you already washed lot of stuff i would try something like this. I would also let the microwave take the air outside as it's probably a cause of the persistence of the odor by now. Once outside i would try to wash it with barely dilute hydrogen peroxide (don't wash all the stuff with it even if you like the result, this can cause major loss of color).

Close the other doors often in the house so that the odor don't migrate there.

Sometime only on the next repainting of the place odor will start to go away when smoke caused it.

Continue to let air flow in the place (especially on a day that rain as the air will be charged with ozone).

Edited by Martin on 12/4/2009 at 3:32 PM EST