John Henderson
John Henderson, Consultant
Experience:  I own a research business that provides latest data on a variety of topics.
Type Your Question Here...

how can i reset just the chimes on my granddaughter clock

Customer Question

Category: General
Expert:  John Henderson replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer..

We need more information. What information can you provide about the maker, model and age of the clock?

XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am not sure of the maker or model but know it is about 70years old
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i think my clock is probably an enfield safeback

Hello again...

Are there any markings? Look on the back, bottom and the clock face. If there is an access to the works from the face, back or bottom, the name and model may be in small print. Without some information or atleast a picture, it will be near impossible to help.

I really do not like to leave our customers without an answer. I look forward to helping.

XXXXX XXXXX

After I sent the top response, I did a search on enfield and found this. It was a response to someone else under different circumstances. Let me know if it helps...

. . . If the strike mainspring had wound down during a strike, that would be the cause for only 2 strikes. Winding it first would have completed the strike sequence, but the time would have probably advanced anyhow, so you did not do any damage. And I want to make sure the minute hand wasn't taken off at any time before it went out of sync. I'm not sure if the Enfield has a self correcting chime but let's try this. Gently run the minute hand just past the hour. If it does not chime the 16 notes of the chime and strike the hour, run the minute hand back up to as far back as 15 minutes until the hour, or until you hear a faint click ( You can do this if it is a "Safe back" clock, meaning that the hands can be safely turned backwards. If you feel it come to a stop and won't turn any more then it isn't a safe back.) If it turned back and you heard the click, run it forward until it chimes. Repeat these steps until it chimes the full 16 notes of the Westminster chime and strikes. If the number of strikes is not the same as the hour the hour hand is pointing to, GENTLY slip the hour hand to the hour that just struck. If this doesn't work, you can email me you phone number and I'll be glad to call you and walk you through the sync (for confidentiality, don't put your number on the forum.)

On timing, there should be a little nut one the pendulum, usually below the pendulum bob. It is called the rating nut. If you tighten it a little, the clock will run faster, loosen it and it will run slower. Try that to get the clock to keep better time.

Edited by John Henderson on 11/30/2009 at 12:41 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there are several numbers on the back of my clock they are d.r pa d r g m n 2(NNN) NNN-NNNN968155 968156 968157 also if i turn the hands manually to each quarter of an hour it chimes correctly

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.

Second opinions are your choice, and if you have tried what was demonstrated in my response and it did not work, then I will opt out, but befor you do, check out this site -

- www.Horology.org Horology is the study of clock and watch repair - There may be a world of help here if you wish to contact them - The School of Horology is licensed by Pennsylvania State Board of Private Licensed Schools and accredited by Accrediting Commission of Career and Colleges of Technology (ACCSCT).
Copyright © 2008 National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors, Inc. ::XXXXX, Columbia, PA 17512 Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />Email: School Registrar

John Henderson, Consultant
Experience: I own a research business that provides latest data on a variety of topics.