Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Career Question Oil & Gas

Career Question? Oil & Gas
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for your question.

Can you supply more details about your question, and I'll see if I can help you.

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am a Petroleum Engineer Should I stay in Canada, risk layoff in 3 months with 3 months severence pay and a poor out look for another job in N. America or accept transfer to Australia. Kids don't want to move because of school 11th grade and freshman in University, wife will stay with them We don't get along anyway. More of a phsycholanalysist question

Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

Who don't you get along with, wife? Can you picture yourself happy in Australia, literally on the other side of the world, not seeing your kids for a long time? Is your current company offering you the transfer to Australia? Is the salary comparable to, or more than you're making now?

This is really a very personal decision and a difficult one, for you to make. If you feel the layoff is really going to happen in about three months, then you're wise to begin considering your options now. If you feel you would be happy away from your family, living in a different country, doing a job you love, and if this opportunity is coming at a time when you are not happy in your marriage and feel like a change may be a good option for you at this time, Australia may be a serious consideration.

If you feel that you've already exhausted all possibilities of jobs in your field in North America, and your only option to make a good living is to make this move to Australia, it might be a good move for you. However, it's important to try your best, XXXXX XXXXX don't want to be that far from your kids, and they need their dad at these crucial stages in their lives/education, to line up another position closer to home. If you've already investigated in Canada and feel the outlook is very poor, you can also try some of the northern states in the U.S. that border Canada, and if you should get a job there, at least it won't be as difficult to see your kids.

It's all really up to you and what you feel would make you happiest, enable you to earn the most money, and still be an important part of your kids' lives. Why don't you find out more about the Australia job, where you would live, how long it would take to fly between Australia and Canada, for when you wanted to make trips home, what life is like there, etc., and if you're more informed, it might help you make your decision. If I were in your position, I think I'd have to know I exhausted all possibilities of a job closer to home, before I decided to consider the Australia job. Then again, as I mentioned, if you feel this might be coming at the 'right' time in your life and you would enjoy the 'adventure' of living in a new and different place, that's to be considered, also.

I'm sort of trying to play 'devil's advocate' and help you see both sides of the situation, but you know where you'll be happiest and where you will be able to make sufficient money to support your family.

Whatever your decision, I wish you much good luck!

Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist