Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

I have a 3 inch id cylinder.I am pressing biomass using 20

I have a 3 inch id cylinder.I am pressing biomass using 20 tons hydraulic force.If I choke offthe end of the pipe 1/4 inch so that the opening is 2.75 how much force is applied to the sides of the bipmass?
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

I guess you mean the force perpendicular the the direction of the biomass? That would greatly depend on the kind of biomass in question, algae for example would create very little obstruction, so the lateral force would be small, wood chip could really jam the opening and create a very strong force.

Another factor is the length of the tube. The longer it is, the more friction will build up and the arc of force that would sit on the opening would be stronger.

As such material is so complex, a finite element analysis is probably not the best and a prototype would be needed to really know. this would require a hole in the cylinder and the positioning of a load cell or a weight column so that the pressure on that known surface can be measured. The thing would need to be on a piece that fill flush with the inside of the cylinder.