Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

what is the purpose of, do different brands of popcorn leave

Customer Question

what is the purpose of, do different brands of popcorn leave different amounts of unpopped kernels
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

Many thing may influence the ratio of unpopped kernel. But the brand is not one of them (they use all the same product at the base).

Essentially the inside of the kernel must have 15% of humidity to allow a good pop. What might prevent them to pop is the incomplete formation of the hull surrounding the kernel. If to thin, moisture will evaporate . If the structure is not even enough, a tinny crack will happen letting vapor out before the critical pressure is reached.

The age of the product is a factor for the lack of humidity and the growing condition affect the hull structure. This can be temperature and water, but good pollination also count as the more pollen, the ticker usually are the fruit envelopes (that apply to all fruit, like apple also).

You then have the factor of the way they are cook. microwave is less even, so there is more chance to have failing kernels.

Salt may be a bad thing as it might drain the humidity from the kernel. So it's preferable to not have any in the envelope and no butter also as it contain salt (anyway that "butter" smell like vomit while the popcorn is cooked).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
but what is the purpose? because im doing a science project and i do not understand what the purpose is!
Expert:  Martin replied 6 years ago.
Can you explain me what you mean by "purpose"? Do you mean that the popcorn company do it on purpose?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

nevermind my mom helped me! but you did help me with my analysis! thank you soooooooo much =) have a great day.