How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cher Your Own Question
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 21221
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am looking to relocate to Mexico, could you tell me what

Resolved Question:

I am looking to relocate to Mexico, could you tell me what I need to do this? I have an 11 year old daughter, and I plan on taking her with me. Please let me know what I have to do.
Thank you
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi Tammy,

You have posted in our 'Cat' category. Are you bringing your cat or a pet with you, as well?

Are you relocating to Mexico from the United States or another country? Were you and your daughter born in the U.S. or another country?

Thanks for all your additional details, and I will be happy to help you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes my daughter and I were born in the US, and no pet is going with us. We plan on moving to Mexico from the United States
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, Tammy, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

In order to get information re: the most updated entry requirements into Mexico, it would be best for you to contact the Mexican Embassy located atXXXXXNW, Washington, DC 20006, telephone(NNN) NNN-NNNN or any Mexican consulate in the United States, for the most current information.

You and your daughter will need a passport and if you're planning on living in Mexico, not just visiting, you will need to fill out forms with personal and background information. Also, if you have shared custody of your daughter, and her father is living, he will need to give permission for her to move to Mexico.

You can see much more, here: and here:
but your best course of action would be to contact the Mexican Embassy at the phone number above, to find out all the necessary requirements for entry into the country if you're planning to relocate there. It would also be a good idea to contact the U.S. State Department to get further information from them, and once you make the move, be sure to register both you and your daughter, with the U.S. Embassy in Mexico.

I wish you much good luck!

Cher and 44 other General Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry but I have searched the web pages you sent me and I can't find any information about moving to Mexico. I can only find information about visiting Mexico. Do you have any other suggestions
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, Tammy, and thanks for your reply.

Online information is constantly changing, as Mexico's requirements change, so my recommendation to call your local Mexican Embassy or Consulate would provide you with the most current information re: the necessary visas and other requirements you will need to move to/live in Mexico, entering as a U.S. citizen.

You can call the Mexican Embassy in Washington D.C. at(NNN) NNN-NNNN or, if you would like to provide me with your location, I can research the Embassy or Consulate nearest you.

I've found some additional basic information for you, which should be helpful, but I don't know how recent it is. To reside in Mexico, you will need to apply for an FM3 visa.You can apply for this in person at a Mexican Consulate. You also must have proof of at least $1000-$1200.00 a month, steady income, from working in the U.S; this could include a pension, or proof of at least one year's worth of money in a bank account. This visa must be renewed every year and proof of income is required. After 5 years, you may apply for an FM2 visa (similar to a green card in the U.S.) After 2 more years, you may apply for citizenship, if you're interested in doing this, which takes at least 2 years to process.

People who cannot provide proof of income often go to Mexico on a 180 day tourist card, and leave every 6 months for a day or so, then re-enter on another tourist card. You cannot work in Mexico without an FM3 visa and a work permit, which may not be easy to get. You must find an employer who will write a letter to immigration and state that s/he is giving you a job for which s/he cannot find a Mexican citizen. After that, your work permit is tied to that specific job. Unemployment is high in Mexico, so if you do not enter with a job already in place, they try to discourage you, because they don't want any more unemployed people.


Edited by Cher on 11/16/2009 at 11:27 PM EST