Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

I have medium brown hair but have been dying it dark chestnut

I have medium brown hair but have been dying it dark chestnut and recently red plum, how do I go about dying it back to a natural mid brown colour?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.

Lightening your hair, after dying it a darker color, will be difficult for you to do by yourself. It would best be accomplished by an experienced colorist at a hair salon.

If you would like to try to do this on your own, you can try a medium golden brown color or a light ash blonde; this should help to lighten the chestnut, but since you most recently used the red plum, if there are many reddish highlights, the blonde color may not yield the desired result, and 'orange' might be a dreaded possibility.

If you would rather not go to a salon because of the expense, etc., try asking a hair stylist you're friendly with where you get your hair cut, etc, what color(s) they would use to 'correct' your color back to your own natural mid brown color. Also, you can contact the experienced folks at companies like Garnier and Clairol, who might advise you which of their products to use, if you choose to do this at home.^PRD_HAIRCOLOR^NUTRISSE^NUTRISSE_INFORMATION

I wish you much good luck!

Edited by Cher on 11/15/2009 at 9:17 PM EST