Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

i sent in an absentee ballot for a candidate for the u.s. house

i sent in an absentee ballot for a candidate for the u.s. house of representatives within the correct filing time. my candidate withdrew seven days before the election. what happens to my vote

This would depend upon the laws in your particular State. For example, in California, this is the rule: "A candidate's public withdrawal from an election, once his or her name is XXXXX XXXXX ballot, makes no difference in terms of how votes for that person are counted. If absentee ballots are cast for such a candidate, they will still be counted like all other votes. This means that a candidate who has "withdrawn" from the race, could theoretically still win the race." (source: http://www.calvoter.org/voter/faq.html)

I hope this helped.

Cher