Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

How can I buy Alcohol in Iran

How can I buy Alcohol in Iran
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for your question.

It's difficult to find alcoholic beverages for sale in Iran, because "alcohol ingestion is strictly illegal under Islamic Religious Law in Iran and those caught can be whipped, fined, or jailed. However, the WHO reports: "Religious minorities can buy alcoholic beverages from very few specifically licensed shops owned by shopkeepers of the same minority." An Erowid reader describes the law this way: "It is usually illegal to buy or sell alcohol in Iran, but there are some exceptions. Christians (Armenians), Jews, and some other minorities are allowed to sell alcoholic beverages. These minorities are also only supposed to sell alcohol to members of their own minority, but they don't really ask--or even care--about what your background is. A lot of non-minority Iranians drink, but they do it secretly." See WHO's Alcohol Policy PDF. (thanks K,S) (last updated Oct 6 2009)" (source:

If you can find a store run by a non-Muslim person/family, they will sell you alcoholic beverages, if you are of age. If you are in Iran now, inquire of a tour guide or hotel where you are staying, where you might find alcoholic beverages sold by non-Islamic stores.

I hope this helped you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Good answer. Do the hotels serve alcohol privately to your room??
Can you take some in your luggage?? are you from Iran
can you send me your email???
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hi again, Ted and thanks for your accept and your reply.

No, I am not from Iran. I'm pretty sure you can't bring alcohol into Iran, if the religious majority (Muslims) prohibits it's consumption, so do not pack any in your luggage, as it will be confiscated and/or you might get into trouble with the law, upon arrival. Do not take any chances of breaking the law, when in a foreign country. Make sure you know the rules when you are a visitor in another country. If the hotel where you are staying is run by a Muslim company, they will not serve you alcohol privately in your room and will not serve it at all, in the hotel.

Cher (I'm sending this as a 'request for information', so you are not prompted to click 'accept' an additional time)