Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

I would like to have the following situation/statement analyzed

I would like to have the following situation/statement analyzed as to the type of personality of the person who stated it:

Situation: A social group (lds/mormon) attend an unofficial activity at Mt. Hood, Oregon. Upon entrance, there was a lottery(contribute a 1.00 and then a drawing for a prize later). Myself and another girl decided to contribute to the lottery. We were to meet at 3p.m. for the drawing, so we were late meeting some of the other adults to go on a ride.
When my friend attempted to explain and apologize for us being late, one of the adult women stated:

"Why are you confessing to me? I'm not your bishop (ecclesiastical leader)? She was serious in her response, not joking.

What is the reality of this type of statement?

Thank you for any input you can offer.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.

From your description, it sounds like the woman who responded to your friend in this manner may have had some past issues with people really 'confessing' misdeeds to her, and she doesn't want to be put in that position again. She completely misunderstood your friend's apology for you and she arriving late, which is a normal thing to say when you arrive at an event late. I think the woman misunderstood and blew your friend's apology out of proportion. The woman did not react in a usual way, to what your friend said.

I wouldn't worry about it too much; you and your friend were not at fault, but the woman's response was uncalled for.

I hope this helped.