MsWest
MsWest, Senior Research Associate
Experience:  Experience in research, genealogy, writing, real estate law, business, finance, health.
5099353
Type Your Question Here...

Im trying to find an article by Ann Landers on death of a

Customer Question

I'm trying to find an article by Ann Landers on death of a pet. A letter from a dog to his owner.
Category: General
Expert:  General Jay replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer!

Ann Landers has written quite a few articles dealing with the death of pets. I was able to locate this Ann Landers article featuring a letter from the dog to its owner.

May I Go Now?

May I go now?
Do you think the time is right?
May I say goodbye to pain filled days
and endless lonely nights?
I've lived my life and done my best,
an example tried to be.
So can I take that step beyond
and set my spirit free?

I didn't want to go at first,
I fought with all my might.
But something seems to draw me now
to a warm and loving light.
I want to go
I really do.
It's difficult to stay.

But I will try as best I can
to live just one more day.
To give you time to care for me
and share your love and fears.
I know you're sad and afraid,
because I see your tears.

I'll not be far,
I promise that, and hope you'll always know
that my spirit will be close to you
wherever you may go.
Thank you so for loving me.
You know I love you too,
that's why it's hard to say goodbye
and end this life with you.

So hold me now just one more time
and let me hear you say,
because you care so much for me,
you'll let me go today.

I hope this article is the one you were looking for.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This was not quite the one I had remembered. Is there another letter from a dog to its owner?
Expert:  MsWest replied 4 years ago.

Perhaps this is the one you are looking for:

A Dog's Plea
(from Ann Landers, originally published in 1986)

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I might lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when the sound of your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am very old and I no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do no make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see to it that my life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.

Edited by MsWest on 10/26/2009 at 2:06 AM EST
MsWest, Senior Research Associate
Experience: Experience in research, genealogy, writing, real estate law, business, finance, health.