Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

If I were to harvest atmospheric water using sulfuric acid

If I were to harvest atmospheric water using sulfuric acid solutions of hygroscopic salts, how much water could one harvest in terms of ml/cubic meter of air at a given relative humidity and assuming optimum column efficiency? The idea is to build a packed column, scavenge water from the ambient humidity, and then remove the water and concentrate the brine with a solar still. The application is remote outposts in arid regions where there is a need to support a hermit without resupply.
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

I don't have enough knowledge for the process you describe here. That said it should indeed be able to collect some water. The thing i see right away is that i doubt it would produce lot of water and it will be quite complex and heavy to carry in remote place.

The most cost effective technique i saw in action so far is fog mesh water collector. Here is an example of the process That allow to collect an appreciable quantity of water if the air itself is not too dry (usually the collection is done in the morning). if you can see dew drop in the morning on a spider web, there should be enough humidity to allow those mesh.

Other system mimic the Namibian Stenocara beetle. It use micron sized structure to initiate the formation of water droplet (not unlike large forest do with polen). I don't know currently of any commercial venture that sell that right now, but those guys published papers on this around 2006. They have cooperation with Dupont so they might refer you to a department that can provide engineering sample of the material in question.

A urine recycling system would allow a good way to complement such a system without having to build a giant collector.