Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

A glass sculpture that I placed on a painted surface is now

Customer Question

A glass sculpture that I placed on a painted surface is now stuck to it. What is the best and safest way to remove it?
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

1-What is the surface area of contact between the 2?

2-That is the painted object in question?

3-Was the paint completely dry before doing this?

4-How long the 2 have been in contact?

5-Is the painted object (or his paint) as valuable as the glass sculpture?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Martin,

The surface between the two is the paint which was done two years ago using semi-gloss latex paint. It is completely dry of course, but is in front of a very sunny window. The two objects (table and glass sculpture) have been in contact for about five months. The sculpture is more valuable than the table.

Thank you so much for trying to help!

Natalie

Expert:  Martin replied 4 years ago.
I see, i think you can forget about not damaging the paint then, it's going to be damaged a bit when you remote the sculpture.

As it's a table, you may be able to get some heat under it (a hair dryer could do). Try to not get the temperature too high, let the wood get time to transmit the heat from under to the top. I guess 50C might be enough at the surface of the paint and glass. You can also heat a bit the top. That should increase the pressure of the small air bubble that might still be present.

Then to preserve the paint the most possible, just slightly lift the glass and put most of the force in a rotation movement. If the base slip in your hand but seem solid enough to be twisted with more force, put rubber band around it.

Once the glass is detached, you may have to clean it with a latex paint solvent.

An other way yo unstuck them would be tricky. it would require using the different propriety expansion of wood to humidity and contraction of glass to cold. That would only work if the glass base is large enough or the elasticity of the paint will be able to adapt to the deformation.

Edited by Martin on 10/20/2009 at 5:15 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Martin,

Yes, I had been thinking about using a hair dryer all around the edge of the sculpture, which has a circumference of about 46 inches, but I was afraid that the heat might crack the glass....and then I would die! Would there be enough heat to end up doing that?........or, is it better as you suggested, underneath the table? Also, if the heat fron the sunlight might have caused the paint to melt, would that happen with the dryer?

Thanks,

Natalie

Expert:  Martin replied 4 years ago.
A dishwasher use around 50 to 65 C water, so if you do not pass 50C it should not crack. In fact glass do not crack with heat, it melt, only fast gradient change in temperature could cause crack. the only case where that kind of heat could be dangerous is if there is many impurity in the glass (and i don't think it's the case)

Yes underneath would help. Especially that i see it's quite big (46 inches). If the glass make contact only on the perimeter, don't heat the center for nothing, just heat the region where contact occur.

At this size, you will definitively need help to do both action at the same time.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I certainly will accept your advice. I'll try it later when I have more time and can summon up the courage! I'm new at this "Just Answer". Is there any way that I can let you know how it worked? In any case, thank you for your time and patience. I really appreciate it!

Sincerely,

Natalie

Expert:  Martin replied 4 years ago.
Yes you can always come back to the post to do a follow up message. i will let the post open for that.