Linda Roch
Linda Roch, Mensa Member
Experience:  I am a good researcher and I am a member of Mensa
19568076
Type Your Question Here...

Re Sending emails to a group of people. The separation between

Customer Question

Re: Sending emails to a group of people. The separation between email addresses is a comma and it needs to be a semi-colon to send a message. How do I change the comma and make it a semi-colon?
Category: General
Expert:  Linda Roch replied 5 years ago.
This depends on the email product that you're using. Sometimes, a comma may be used and a semi-colon may not.

If you are looking to change this, the easiest way to do it is to copy the whole text with the emails and copy it into word. Go under Edit and fund the "Replace" feature. In the "Find" box, enter "," (without the quotations) and then in the "Replace" box, enter ";"

Then click on "Replace all"

Copy the whole text again and paste into the "To" line in your email.

If it is just one or two emails, just use the backspace and manually change it by using your keyboard.

Edited by Linda Roch on 10/15/2009 at 6:48 PM EST
Linda Roch, Mensa Member
Experience: I am a good researcher and I am a member of Mensa
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Linda Roch.

The answer you gave makes sense but I can't get the comma changed to a semi-colon using your answer as to what to do. I've followed your answer exactly as you wrote it using the find box and then the replace box followed by replace all. Then I copied the whole text (in the to: box) and put it in the to: line. Shouldn't the change from comma to semi-colon happen immediately after I hit the replace all button? I've obeyed your directions four different times now but no change has happened. Am I missing something? Please send me an email answer. Thanks, XXXXX
The change should take place in word. Do you see the change taking place and then going back when you paste it into the email box?

Two things may be happening:

1) The email program may automatically turn it into a comma because that's what it needs in order to send multiple address emails.

or

2) You are not copying the changed text but pressing paste and the old text that you copied earlier is pasting.