Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney, Public Speaker, Honors Graduate USMA.
Type Your Question Here...

What is the value of 1899 O silver dollar

What is the value of 1899 O silver dollar?
Category: General
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer.

To give you any kind of reasonable answer regarding the value of a coin, it is necessary to know the numismatic condition of the coin (referred to as the "Mint State" or MS rating). If you are familiar with these gradings and can let me know what the condition of the coin is, I can give you a value estimate. If you are not familiar with grading coins, but can scan the coin and insert pictures of both sides here, I can give you an estimate.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will take pix. From inexperience eye it looks to be very nice.. ridges on edge are well defined. evereything front and back look to be very sharp and clear. My guess is it is in very good condition. I haven't a frame of reference to really determine this but it looks very clean without any wear. thanks Dave
Hi again Dave & thanks for the additional information.

If you can take and post photos that will help. To give you an idea of how much difference the condition makes, an average circulated 1899-O dollar is worth about $20, but a high quality, graded (by PCGS) and encapsulated brilliant uncirculated (MS-67) example would likely sell at auction for $1000 or more. The values increase dramatically with improved condition.

The 1899-O (New Orleans mint) is a fairly common date/mint mark. More than 12 million were minted and many survive. They were minted primarily from silver mined out of the Comstock Lode in Virginia City, Nevada. There is a variety (referred to as "micro-O" because the O is somewhat smaller than the normal O on the others) which is also somewhat more valuable.