Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

cosmotologist My friend is 81 yrs old, she has grey hair.

My friend is 81 yrs old, she has grey hair. She would like to have her hair cut with a razor. Would it have to be cut real short? Her hair is not real thick, would it look fuller?
Hi again Liz, and welcome back to Just Answer.

Sometimes, a razor cut can add dimension, but at your friend's age, her hair and the skin of her scalp are thinner than they used to be, so a razor cut could be painful and also pull too much on the skin of her scap, plus, it could possibly also 'break' the hair. Women with finer hair are not recommended to get razor cuts; this method is usually reserved for women with very thick and/or coarse hair.

If she wants to add volume, getting a short, comfortable scissor cut to complement the shape of her face, including many 'layers' should be a good look for her, and easy to care for. In addition, using a volumizing shampoo, and a volumizing mousse, after shampooing, will help give the appearance that her hair is thicker.

I hope this helped you and your friend!