Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

Hawaii is not listed as an available area code for a phone

Hawaii is not listed as an available area code for a phone number, (808) in this case. How do I get an (808) number?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

Can you explain your situation a little further?

Where do you live? In Hawaii?

Do you want a phone number with area code 808, or is 808 the first three digits of the phone number you would like to have?

Who is your phone service provider?

Edited by Cher on 10/11/2009 at 2:51 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Cher, All States except hawaii and Alaska are allowed to specify their state area code for their phone number. Without area code 808 can my number be called? And why are Hawaii and Alaska not included?
How can some one call my phone if it does not have an 808 area code. I can not dial out without specifying the area code of the number being called.

Aloha, Henry

Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Aloha, Henry, and thanks for your reply.

Area code 808 is the area code for all of Hawaii, according to my research.

If your phone system requires you to dial area code 808 when calling other numbers in Hawaii, even though the area code is the same, then people calling you locally and calling from other States do need to dial area code 808 before dialing your 7 digit phone number. Your number cannot be called without including that area code.

If you state your number does not carry that area code, what area code were you assigned and in which part of Hawaii are you located (city)? Are you referring to your home phone or your cell phone? Do cell phones also all carry area code 808 in HI?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Cher,
In order to specify a phone number it is required by Magic Jack to specify the state you are calling from. However, if you go to the Magic Jack setup procedure you will find that Hawaii is not an object of choice.
Obviously AJ has deliberatively excluded Hawaii and also Alaska. Why ? That is the question. It doesn't make any sense since I can successfully dial 808 numbers. MJ has to answer the question but it seems impossible to contact them. Give it a try a try.
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, Henry, and thanks for your clarification.

You hadn't mentioned this problem being related to the use of Magic Jack, so now I better understand. You can try to contact them through their online 'live help' website:

You can log into your account, if you've set it up with a username and password, online, here:

You can try this contact information:

MagicJack LP/Ymax Corp,XXXXX, Palm Beach, FL 33405

Telephone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

I can't answer your question re: why MJ has chosen to exclude Hawaii and Alaska, however, if you were able to purchase and install MJ with a HI phone number (area code), this doesn't make sense, on their end.

I've read some complaints re: other customers not being able to contact them, either, but if you have just purchased the Magic Jack, it seems from their ads that you have 30 days to try it, and if you are not satisfied, you can return it, so if it's not working out for you, due to this HI area code problem, you might be better off returning it.

I hope things work out well for you, Henry.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Cher, Thanks for the info. MJ seems to keep that as unavailable as possible. I could not track it down. Hopefully I can now get some answers.
Aloha, Henry
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, Henry, and you're most welcome. Thanks very much for your accept and your reply.

I hope you are able to get some info from MJ once you try those contact numbers.