P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  45 years old, retired Marine Officer, current attorney
Type Your Question Here...

Hello, I am considering hiring a computer expert who does work

Hello, I am considering hiring a computer expert who does work with a police department to hack into my spouse's personal computer. He has agreed to let me hire him to do this for me. The reason for doing this without my spouse's knowledge or consent is that I want to get personal e-mail and website visitation data from my spouse's personal computer to find out if my spouse is cheating on me or visiting online sex sites. I assumed it is legal to do this since this computer expert works with the police. However, I felt I should check with a legal expert before actually hiring this expert. I want to make sure I will not be doing anything illegal and end up getting myself or this expert in any kind of legal trouble or civil rights violation lawsuit.
What state is this in please?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I would not hack into her email. This is illegal under TX law. If you do this and she finds out she could sue you civilly for damages and could also report you to law enforcement who could prosecute this crime.

Just because the "expert" works for the police does NOT give them license to break the law. If there is a search warrant, then the person would be able to hack the computer. But in the absence of a search warrant or some other direct permission from the state, if you have him hack into her email, it would violate the law. As well, it could be your violating federal law, particularly if your hacking into a on line email provider.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne; unless you are representing law enforcement or have a court order, you should not attempt to hack her email.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you sir! I will hit the accept button