Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
Type Your Question Here...

I recieved a phone call stating that I had won x-amount of

Customer Question

I recieved a phone call stating that I had won x-amount of money from the I have a dream sweepstakes. They said i had to pay x-amount of money to insure the check before it could be released. How do I know if this is a fraud or not. I have been scamed before and I dint want it to happen again.
Category: General
Expert:  Joan replied 7 years ago.

You are being scammed. There are many of these scams reported in the news daily. They ask you to put up the money and then they will send you the Certificate of winnings. There are some scams where someone will send you a letter that they have found hidden money in Iraq, and there are some sweepstakes scams. If it seem too good to be true it usually is. A legitimate contest will not require you to send money or any information that is personal or information on bank accounts.You may want to contact the local phone company as well as the Police in you area to allow them to know that people in your area are being targeted. Joan

Edited by Joan on 10/6/2009 at 6:03 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.