TaxTom, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Years of experience of finding questions for employeers, family and friends.
Type Your Question Here...

Hello, I just baught a Gibson LesPaul serial number C811995.

Customer Question

Hello, I just baught a Gibson LesPaul serial number C811995. Can you tell me how many were made and what it is app worth?
Category: General
Expert:  TaxTom replied 7 years ago.
Hello, It appears your guitar was made in 1974 or 1975,
1974 and 1975 100000s, 200000s, 300000s, 400000s,500000s, 600000s, 800000s and a few A-B-C-D-E-F + 6 digit numbers. Value is very subjective, in general in the $1,500 to $4,000 range. Condition and desirability effects the price and makes it hard to pin point. Thank You Tom
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No I don't accept that answer. This guitar was made a sa tribute guitar for 9-11 2001.

It has a flag on the face, covering the whole front. So it couldn't have been made in the 70's

Expert:  TaxTom replied 7 years ago.
Hello, Unless there are more numbers involved Gibson uses an 8 digit system of serialization since 1977 and haven't used the 999 last three digits since that time. Another possibility is that the Guitar was an older guitar painted after 911. Here is the 911 guitar that I was able to find
I also included the following from Gibson Serialization guide. At the bottom you will find a link to the total guide. Thank You Tom

"In 1977, Gibson first introduced the serialization method that is in practice today. This updated system
utilizes an impressed eight digit numbering scheme that covers both serializing and dating functions. The
pattern is as follows:
YY is the production year
DDD is the day of the year
PPP is the plant designation and/or instrument rank.
The numbers 001-499 show Kalamazoo production, 500-999 show Nashville production. The Kalamazoo
numbers were discontinued in 1984.
When acoustic production began at the plant built in Bozeman, Montana (in 1989), the series' numbers
were reorganized. Bozeman instruments began using 001-299 designations and, in 1990, Nashville
instruments began using 300-999 designations. It should also be noted that the Nashville plant has not
reached the 900s since 1977, so these numbers have been reserved for prototypes"