Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

How do you make a liquid to be at exactly the temperature you

Customer Question

How do you make a liquid to be at exactly the temperature you want and is also environmental friendly?
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

Can you give more background information on what you are trying to do? Any liquid in particular? For what purpose? At what temperature?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Martin,

I have been brewing my own beer for awhile and after making my batches of beer and bottling it, temperature seems to be a problem. Having a refridgerator isn't always convienient and I was wondering if there was a scientific way to keep liquids (beer) cold for a long period of time at a constant temperature without a refriderator. I would like the temperature to be around 40 degrees.

Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
Ideally, if you have a cave (like batman) under your house, you could store it there as those can maintain 5-7C most of the year. You could then use a small Peltier effect system to cool it 2 degree more. But that situation is very unlikely :)

Peltier effect in itself is currently not efficient enough to be used to lower it to your 40F alone from room temperature (it could, but it would take lot of current). Current gas based refrigerator are still the more efficient way to keep something to that temperature.

There is work currently on a kind of plastic that can be switched simply by electric field (like a LCD screen), from a state that isolate to a state that conduct heat well (at least better). By alternating different sections of the material to electric field, it's possible to draw the heat away. This is still experimental and no consumer version exist yet.

If you have lot of land, you could do it like in the old times: Using a big pile of saw dust to keep the winter ice well into the late summer. It's not a convenient way, but if you have big volume of beer, it could be an interesting avenue.

Saw dust is for summer, for winter another kind of old method existed. I don't know the name in english (they are called caveaux a legumes in french). Here is what those look like:

They are essentially like a man made "bat cave" and the temperature can get low enough in them in the cold months of winter without freezing to keep vegetable almost fresh for many months.