Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Teacher
Experience:  I am a good researcher
19568076
Type Your Question Here...

The company I worked for sold to another company. My ex-employer

The company I worked for sold to another company. My ex-employer hasn't paid the balance on a debt. They are now telling me that since I signed the contract under the company, that I am reliable for the balance due. What are my rights?
Category: General
Expert:  Teacher Editor replied 7 years ago.
You were an agent for the company when you signed the contract and they knew that. Therefore, they would have a claim against the old employer. In addition, your new employer took over all the assets and debts of the old company once he bought it, so the contract is also his responsibility.

Even though you were authorized to bind the company on the contract, you are not personally liable on the contract as long as you had direct authorization by the company at the time.

You may have to provide evidence to prove that but unless something very strange happened with your old employer and your authority, you should not be held liable if this does go to court.