Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Teacher
Experience:  I am a good researcher
Type Your Question Here...

My husband and I received a $50 rebate visa card from TMOBILE

My husband and I received a $50 rebate visa card from TMOBILE in May of this year. We used it at Flemings restaurant in Woodland Hills and paid cash for the difference of the meal. Yesterday I received a letter from CITI bank saying the card was charged $350 and that we owe the $300 difference or the case will be sent to collections! I called TMOBILE and they said it was impossible for that to happen but would not provide a written statement to that effect. I called the restaurant last night and the Manager told me they have TONS of problems with these rebate cards and he will have his bookkeeper look up the problem. I've left a message w/CITI. What are my options for recourse with CITI at this point? THANKS!
Category: General
Expert:  Teacher Editor replied 7 years ago.
Citi needs to provide you with a statement telling you exactly what the charge was for. If Flemings can provide you with the original receipt or documentation for the charge, then you should send that off to Citi and that should be the end of the situation.

If you are sent to collections or sued on this, you should go to court and show evidence of the fact that you did not spend the $300 but in this case it seems very doubtful that it will get anywhere near that point.

These cards are supposed to be debit cards rather than credit type cards and usually cannot be charge over the amount that are on them. Make sure that the letter that you received from Citi is actually legitimate and not some scammer trying to get $300 from you by scaring you that you will be sent to collections.