Lori, Research Analyst
Experience:  General Information and Online Research
Type Your Question Here...

Lori, I absolutely need to know if there is hope for this

I absolutely need to know if there is hope for this cat.I have started feeding this homeless cat for the past several months.He has been hanging around the neighborhood for a few years now and I feel like I just have to take care of him.What I know about him...he is not fixed,he does not let people touch him,he's less combative now with other people's cats,and he walks with a slight limp.Since I have been feeding him his coat looks better and he sleeps at night on my deck in a camping chair I put out with blankets for him.I just really want to know if there's any way he'll eventually trust us or become domesticated again.Thank you for your time!
Category: General
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.

Hi---I appreciate you requesting me! The best way to get this boy to trust humans is to do 2 things - first, borrow a Have a Heart trap from Animal Control or a Rescue group, trap hm and have him neutered. If you don't feel comfortable keeping him indoors, the 'tried and true' method of getting a cat to trust is to use a teaser toy of some type - feather teaser or laser pointer. Sit on the deck with him and see if you can get him to interact with you and the toys.

It can take quite a while - several weeks before he feels secure enough with you to trust you. Just be patient. Unless he has had terrible experiences with humans, or is an older boy that just can't change, you should be able to rehabilitate him. Keeping him indoors (after neutering) of course, is the most effective way of changing him (put him in a fairly small room where he doesn't feel overwhelmed). Use the same toys and techniques of quiely talking with him and making him feel secure, and you should se major signs of success.

Please let me know if I can help further and how things go.