TaxTom
TaxTom, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Years of experience of finding questions for employeers, family and friends.
21049508
Type Your Question Here...

wanting a formulae for hot gloss bluing steel,not blacking

Customer Question

wanting a formulae for hot gloss bluing steel,not blacking it.
Category: General
Expert:  TaxTom replied 7 years ago.
Hot Process of Bluing
Bluing steel is a process that protects steel from rust. There are two methods for bluing, hot and cold. In the hot process, the steel is saturated in boiling water mixed with potassium nitrate and sodium hydroxide. This submersion causes a chemical reaction that helps to prevent rusting on the steel. There are many other methods that involve hot or boiling liquid submersion, but each uses a different set of chemicals. One set includes nitrates and chromates.
2:1 sodium to nitrate ratio approximately, by weight. This process can put off differnt gasses and can be dangerous. If possible it s better do in an open setting and done with some one who has experience with mixing chenicals (find a local college science student). Thank You Tom
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
G'day Tom,
I've been bluing firearms for many years using sodium hydroxide [ lye] to
get the boiling point to 285 F & up to 300. I've used the following chemicals & varied the
proportions. They all blacken steel, like modern rifles. Sodium Nitrate, Sodium Nitrite,
Potasium Nitrate & Ammonium Nitrate.
I can get the 19 th century blue-grey colour by carding between coats of acid etch but
you loose the polished surface & is often streaky.
I have seen a job done on a rifle, since the war that was hot dipped in the early blue-grey colour so someone must know the formulae.
Alex
Expert:  TaxTom replied 7 years ago.
I have found serveral options on the net but am a little concerned about the safety. would you like the links to those sites? Tom
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes please. I would like to have those links. The more knowledge the better.
Expert:  TaxTom replied 7 years ago.
Hello, see if these are of any help. Thanks Tom

http://shootersolutions.com/instvig.html
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=36054
http://hurleyknives.com/bluing.html
http://www.hobbygunsmith.com/Archives/Aug03/HowTo.htm
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm chasing those up but its your Sat. night now so I'll get back to you on Monday
Alex
Expert:  TaxTom replied 7 years ago.
Okay, thank You Tom
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Tues. 29th, I contacted the people that you sugested by email where I could. No one has replied.
Most American gunsmiths & dealers buy their blacking salst ready mixed. I know Brownells sell several brands from different manifactuers.
My question would have to be answerd by a mettalurgical chemist I think.
Alex
Expert:  TaxTom replied 7 years ago.
Hello, We don't have a science expert catagory. I thought a couple of the sites I sent you actually had receipes for the process. Tom
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Tom,
I'll try one of your other people.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Still no reply from a chemist or mettalurgist.
It may be that I have to put the black oxide coating on first then dip it in another chemical
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Friday 2nd here, still no answers to my question
Alex
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Friday 9th. Still no answer to my question.
Don't you have any chemists or mettalurgists on your team?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
10/15/09 Still no answer
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My fax/phone No. is 011 61 8 82813053
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
10/23/09 Have you been able to get me an answer yet on bluing not blacking steel?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It seems to me that you can't answer the question so, if you refund the money we'll
call it quitts.
Alex
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a formula from Croacia & a guide from Italy but no answer from you people.
Alex
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
10/12/09 Have you come across any mettalurgists yet? I'm still waiting for an answer to
how to hot dip barrels to grey/blue, not black.
Alex