Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

hi,we all have a wild rabbit problem here in the southern highlands.we

hi,we all have a wild rabbit problem here in the southern highlands.we are not farmers,but we do love our gardens.this cute fuzzy creature seems to leap tall fences in a single bound,or somehow break and put holes in the wire fences!!!!!!!we are surrounded by bush,but being the average humble person i am,can't go and poison there burrows,which by the way are surrounded by blackberries,can't dig and ruin their burrows,haven't the equitment.council won't touch this subject,tell you to ring else where,and was told to scatter pellets for three nights,the third poisoness,but may harm the other wildlife.is their anyone out there that comes and fixes this problem for you?sick of filling in forums with nothing done about it, but to read in the papers "we have a wild rabbit problem"nooooo,really? really feel the need to advertise in the local paper,"can anyone please come and shoot rabbits for me,may keep and eat,or do it just for fun".wouldn't that go down well.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this problem with the wild rabbits.

You can try this product: http://www.rabbitscram.com/ to keep the rabbits out of your area.

You can also try some of these other ideas, from:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf585624.tip.html

You may need to employ a variety of tactics to achieve success. If it repels rabbits, it should also deter gopher and woodchucks. Here are several ideas:

1. Fences: This is really the only foolproof method for protecting your garden from rabbits. Fencing should be 4 ft tall and extend at least 6 inches into the ground. Use metal wire with a small sized mesh and you will keep them out.

2. Bloodmeal or bonemeal: This gives rabbits the impression hungry predators may be lurking nearby. Sprinkle this on top of the soil or fill cheesecloth bags and hang them from trees and shrubs.

3. Hair: Collect discarded human or pet hair and spread it around the perimeter of susceptible plants. Again, rabbits become leery that hungry predators may be in the vicinity.

4. Mason jars: Some gardeners swear that placing Mason jars in 3 ft intervals around the perimeter of your garden will keep rabbits out.

5. Vinegar and corncobs: Soak corncob halves in vinegar for 24 hours and place them around the garden. Save the leftover vinegar and re-soak the corncobs every two weeks to keep rabbits at bay.

6. Powdered fox urine: This stuff may not sound very appealing to work with, but exploiting the rabbits natural fear of the fox is a good strategy. Find this at your local garden center.

7. Tree guards: These are available in home and garden centers, but are easy to make yourself using foil, or window screen. Wrap the trunks of susceptible trees to a height of at least 2 ft above the deepest level of normal snowfall.

8. Try planting Mexican marigolds or garlic.

9. Rotten eggs: Blend 4 eggs, 4 cloves of garlic, 4 tbsp. of Tabasco with 4 cups of water. Allow this to ferment in the hot sun for a few days and then pour around susceptible plants. You may not be able to stand the smell, but neither will the rabbits. Reapply it rains.

Many commercial repellents are available in the form of sprays or powders. These work on the premise that rabbits won't eat something that tastes or smells bad, and usually contain garlic and/or cloves. You will find a wide variety of repellents at home centers and feed stores.

Although rabbits will eat anything (and everything) if food sources become scarce, some plants have been found to be less appealing to their pallet. Contact your local extension agency for recommendations on which rabbit-resistant trees, shrubs and plants grow best in your zone."

I wish you much good luck.

Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist