Ms. Lisa
Ms. Lisa, Nurse
Experience:  RN, MSN, CCRN
18529113
Type Your Question Here...

How can you get the silver off of silver plated objects I

How can you get the silver off of silver plated objects? I need a very specific answer on how to do it.
Category: General
Expert:  Ms. Lisa replied 5 years ago.
Hello; <br /> <br />Thank you for writing in today. The process of removing silver from silver plated objects is a very specific process, which includes precise amounts of acid mixtures. Mixing acid can cause harmful gases and be dangerous for a novice. I would have to recommend finding a workshop to practice the skill, or you may want to consider consulting a company that specializes in providing this service.   <br /> <br />Now, if you still want instructions, please let me know. Also, if you want me to try and locate some workshop or available services for this, please let me know. <br /> <br />Lisa
Ms. Lisa, Nurse
Experience: RN, MSN, CCRN
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would like to have the instructions. We do have a large workshop. We would also appreciate it if you would locate workshops or services for this as you suggest. We live in Sidman, PA 15955.Thanks for your help Lisa.
Expert:  Ms. Lisa replied 5 years ago.
I will need to consult a metal expert friend. I will find some resources for you and have them to you within the next day.   

Lisa
Expert:  Ms. Lisa replied 5 years ago.
Hello, Ruth; <br /> <br />There are many different ways and projects for removing silver plating. I thought about how to present the information, but I need to know what project you are working on specifically. I need to consider the exact material/object you will be working on. I am in the process of trying to find some metallurgy resources in your area. <br /> <br />Lisa
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Lisa,
Silver Plated housewares such as teapots, trays, vases, silverware, etc. Possible some jewelry.
Thanks,
Ruth
Expert:  Ms. Lisa replied 5 years ago.
Ruth;

Is this project for restoration purposes or are you considering profits associated with stripping this silver?
Expert:  Ms. Lisa replied 5 years ago.
Hello, Ruth;

Here are some steps for an acid bath to remove the silver plating; however, metallurgy, especially stripping silver and copper can be very dangerous, and I would advise against it as a novice.

If you are going to try this, I would recommend investing in some metallurgy resources, mainly books, and taking some time to read about the process of removing the silver plating. An error in the process can cause potential dangers, but it can also damage the metal and object.   

Step 1-- Wear proper safety items (goggles, gloves, apron, and keep skin covered).

Step 2-- Mix a solution of 3 parts sulfuric acid to 1 part nitric acid in a porcelain or stoneware container.

Step 3-- Place the container in a larger pot filled with water; this is a water bath. Heat the water in the water bath with a burner until the acids in the container reaches a temperature of about 176 degrees F.

Step 4-- Tie a copper wire around the object you would like to remove the silver plating from. Suspend the object by the wire in the acid solution.

Step 5-- Remove the item after a few seconds. Rinse thoroughly in water, then roll it in sawdust to dry.

I could not locate any available seminars or workshops regarding silver restoration or metallurgy in your area. There are a few classes available at local community colleges for metallurgy fundamentals, but this is not specific to your need. This does not mean that these workshops and seminars are not available in your area. It may just not be the right time. I would encourage you to watch your local area for advertisements. I would pay special attention to antique restoration type classes.

There are a few other things I would like to add, if you are wanting to strip the silver plating for restoration, this is best done professionally. You may consider contacting an antique restoration service in Pennsylvania. I actually found several online as I was searching for some available workshops or seminars, and, based on their gallery pics, appear to do good work.

Finally, if you are considering this project for profits, I want to share something with you. Unfortunately, the cost for silver plating processing is usually higher than the profits generated. Generally, in order to make a profit from recycling silver plating, a person has to have a very large amount of silver plating, such as several sheets to make a profit.   

I hope this helps.   

Lisa
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Understood except how do I xtract the silver? Are the instructions you give for restoration or liquidation?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was only interested in the profits gleemed from getting the silver. Thanks. I understand your answer somewhat, but where does the silver go...wouldn't it go into the acid?
Expert:  Ms. Lisa replied 5 years ago.
<p>Ruth;</p><p> </p><p>Thank you for answering. I was just in the process of writing you back. I was still not clear on your motivation regarding the silver plating. Thank you for clarifying.   That process is more for restorative purposes. Honestly, at this point, I just do not think there is an approach that you can take at home to process the silver and make any type of profit.   Most people do not work with silver plating for profit, but more for restoration.   If you had a large enough quantity, you could consider using a silver recycler company; however, they tend to require large amounts of silver plating. </p><p> </p><p>It might be a long shot, but let me check with some of our home improvement guys.   It does not hurt to do a little survey of experts. If I come up with anything, I will let you know.</p><p> </p><p>I do want to mention that I recently suggested a metallurgy/machinist/fabricator/welding category for just these types of questions. I will forward your posting on to our moderators and customer service. I think your posting is a good example of metal information needs.</p><p> </p><p>Lisa</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks so much for all of your help and research. You were wonderful to work with Lisa.