P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  45 years old, retired Marine Officer, current attorney
Type Your Question Here...

Can a signed one year lease in Michigan be broken if the tenant

Can a signed one year lease in Michigan be broken if the tenant wishes to move out 6 months early because of the purchase of a house? Is there any way to do this with minimal penalty or payment short of paying for the remaining 6 months of rent? Thank you.
Thanks for the chance to assist

Unfortunately, if you are in a lease, you will need to negotiate with the landlord to release you from this lease. The law in MI (or in any state) will not provide a legal defense to a breach of contract suit for the purchase of a new home. If you signed a year lease, your on the hook for a year.

That said, you have a few options, including subletting the place, or, as I said, negotiating with the landlord. Offer them a "buyout"...some amount your comfortable with to allow you to terminate the lease without further penalty.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.