P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  45 years old, retired Marine Officer, current attorney
Type Your Question Here...

I am 56 years old. For 56 years I was told and my birth certificate

I am 56 years old. For 56 years I was told and my birth certificate says my fathers name. He and my mother were married 8 years. They divorced and the both remarried. My "dad" sent my birthday cards, his new wife and kids visited me when I had my 2 children and we talked every couple years, stayed in touch. He lived in south Carolina I live in california. In 2005 Dec I talked to my dad at christmas. He did not nor did I have contact after that. I sent a card on fathers day and his new daughter told me he died in april 2006. and that I was not his daughter so they did not contact me. I am beyond grief that the never let me know. I what to know if he had a will, and he is on my birth certificate and never denied me as his kid how that cam just not contact me. They had my mom and my phone numbers and addresses. Would he not had to deny me or mention me in a will. I do not care about money, my heart is broken
Thanks for the chance to assist

I'm this your adopted father or biological father or neither?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Biological father, he never denied it. He snet my cards even after me mom and him divorced. Came to Tenn to see my son when he was born, and my daughter in California. He brought his family both times. I have pictures. He was big dog at BASF and DOW chemical. I found is obit and I am not mentioned. The family "hios daughter" demanded I stop communicating and I just wonder if he just blew me off? I do not believe it...not after 56 years. They would not even tell me were he was buried. I ask them why they did not tell me he died and they said it was not of my business. Sherri
And you do not know if there was a will?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They said it was none of my business...since I was not really his kid? And threatened legal action if I for harrassment if I contact anyone to find out anything. The say he died from lung cancer at home and was sick 2 years (that is why the cards stopped) but I can not imagine he just left me out. His obit does not even mention me. They said he denied I was his kid for the last 45 years, so why the cards? The visits. If he had a will would he not at least have to say "Sherri McElrath, who I signed and named myself on birth certificate in 1953, while I was married to her mother, is not really my kid" It just seems like they are lieing. I want to see his will. He was big dog as I say and intelligent...he had a will. I do not care about money, I guess I just want to see in writing he denied me after claiming me for so long. They said they did not want me to come and "dig up old wounds" but damn, I had a right to know...What can I do to force them to let me see his eill. I am his daughter.

OK, contact the clerk of the court in the county where he died. If there was a will, there will be a public record of it and you can request a copy.

If there was no will, then likely you would be entitled to part of his estate.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.