Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney, Public Speaker, Honors Graduate USMA.
Type Your Question Here...

My fianc e ended our engagement and I was wondering if I am

My fiancée ended our engagement and I was wondering if I am entitled to get the engagement ring back.
Category: General
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 7 years ago.
Hello William and welcome to JustAnswer.

As I write this, your optional and already tried information has not yet appeared, so I apologize if this does not take into consideration information you provided there.

A specific answer depends on what state you are in, but in general and in most states if the woman breaks the engagement, the man is entitled to have the engagement ring back. Although typically characterized as a gift, the giving of an engagement ring is also considered, in most states, to be a "conditional" gift; that is, a gift dependent upon the fulfillment of the engagement by marriage.

Thanks for asking your question here on JustAnswer. If you have any other questions, please let me know.