Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney, Public Speaker, Honors Graduate USMA.
11056146
Type Your Question Here...

I have a beautiful brooch with earrings set,the french hallmark

I have a beautiful brooch with earrings set,the french hallmark is a p on top of a g......intertwined...diamonds and gold intricat leaf.......ever hear of this hallmark.....it was Moms....must be pretty old...thanx terry
HelloCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer.

Thanks for asking a very interesting question. Unfortunately, I cannot give you a completely definitive answer. However, I can tell you that if this is truly a French made piece, the "P" is probably an indication that it was made in Dijon, France.

See this webpage for information about French hallmarks, including the origins of pieces based on their hallmark letters:

http://www.marischael.com/poincons.html

I cannot locate anything which identifies the "ag" portion of the hallmark you describe (though, perhaps coincidentally, that is the abbreviation for silver). It may be that "ag" is the monogram (initials) of the artist or jeweler who designed the piece. Is there any graphic in the hallmark? It is sometimes possible to provide a better identification based on the graphic.

Thanks again for asking your question here on JustAnswer. If you have any other questions, please let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
not ag..............p on top of g capital G and the line down from p,goes inside the G,to the middle where the G ends
Oh, okay,Customer I mis-read your original post to mean "P" on top of "a g", when you meant "P" on top of a "g".

The only combination of P and G that I can find is for a London, England, jeweler named Peter Guille (oddly, a French sounding name), but his mark is a rather simple PG with a dot between the letters.

However, I did locate this site:

http://www.antique-jewelry-investor.com/antique-gold-hallmarks-question.html

You may be able to get a more definitive answer there. Good luck in your search.