Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

How can I find out who a phone line is with It is not a BT

How can I find out who a phone line is with? It is not a BT line. They say it must be with another provider. The line is there in a flat I am about to move in to. The landlord does not know who the service provider is as previous tenants changed it and they are now out of contact.

There is not much more info I can give. Sorry. I just need to know where to find out the service provider for a UK phone line which is not with BT

Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hello,Customer and thanks for your question.

If you are moving into this flat as a new tenant, it shouldn't be necessary to know who the phone provider is, especially if you want to change it. The new bill can't be in your name, until you officially change it over, and when you call to subscribe to any phone provider, they should be able to tell you whose line it is when your new one is installed.

If you call various other companies, beside BT, to find out who the line is with, giving the phone number might be sufficient, OR call BT and ask if they know which company would assign a phone number like the one you have, unless, as it is in the USA, you're able to 'port over' your own number when you change providers.

This should help:

"Who can supply a phone service

It is now possible to choose between a range of phone service providers for phone lines and equipment providers for telephone handsets, faxes and switchboards. As well as BT, other phone service providers now include NTL (incorporating Cable and Wireless plc) and Energis Communications (for business customers only), and various cable phone service companies." (see more, at:

And this, as well:

I wish you much good luck, in solving this mystery, and then choosing the best provider for your needs.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry but this does not help. Although there is a line at the property the service is not "on" and therefore we do not know the number.No-one can reconnect until we find out which company has the line - BT does not know whose line it is. Is there an organisation that would know?
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

The only other suggestion I can make is to call all the possible carriers, listed in the link I provided (, give your address and flat number, and ask each individual company if their company supplies service to that unit.

This is a very strange predicament; you would think when someone moves out, the phone service is disconnected, and then the next tenant chooses to hook up whichever one they want.

If this does not prove helpful, please let me know and I will 'opt out' and leave your question for other experts to answer.