Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

how much would it cost to travel by train from the area of

how much would it cost to travel by train from the area of Chillicothe, Ohio to an area near Mantua nj (20 mi radius from mantua) i am looking for the least expensive and quickest. Also wondering if it would be cheaper a flight from that area of ohio to philly. I do not want the train to end at philly insure the saftey of the person traveling
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

About how much are you looking to spend (what's your limit)?

Do you need a round trip ticket?

Do you prefer train or plane? Whichever is least expensive?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes round trip preferred unless it cheaper to do it a different way.

As for plave vs. train which ever is least expensive and how long it will take to arrive each way, aproximately 5-10 days in jersey not counting traveling time back n forth.

I did not answer the how much to spend question because i'm looking to spend as little as possible because neither of us have much money right now. definitly under 200 as much as possible under it if that is possible

thanks mike

Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, Mike, and thanks for your reply.

So far, I've found these are the nearest airports, train stations and bus depots, nearest Chillicothe. Would you consider bus, if the price is right, or you don't think it will be fast enough?

Chillicothe Airports (Commercial)

Airport Type     Nearest Location
Nearest     Columbus, Ohio (43.5 miles)
Nearest International     Columbus, Ohio (43.5 miles)

Amtrak Stations
Nearest Station
South Shore, Kentucky (42.4 miles)

Greyhound Stations
Station     Address
Chillicothe     SPEEDEE MART/61 N BRIDGE ST

I'm going to check out the same information for the nearest airports/stations near Mantua, NJ and prices for you. It might take a while, so I appreciate your patience.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Bus would be acceptable and I do appreciate all the info so far but I also need to know how long aprox. it would take to arrive and also how much each of these methods would cost. Thanks mike
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, Mike, and you're most welcome.

I'm currently researching this for you now, and it might take a while; I will send all the information as soon as I have a complete answer for you.

Thanks for your patience,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok np i can be patient thanks mike
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi Mike,

I forgot to ask an important question: when do you want to travel? From what date to what date (approximately)?

Also, do you mean under $200 for one person traveling?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes for one person traveling definitly under 200$ and for 5-10 stay in jersey in the beggining of june starting around june 5th but maybe a couple days earlier or a day or 2 later. mike :)
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi Mike,

I had done the following research before I got your response re: the dates, and I used today and tomorrow's dates for departure and 10 days later for return, so you can adjust it as needed:

By Air:

with departure date as today and return date in 10 days (5/28/09), since I didn't yet know the actual days of travel, needed. Price may vary according to the actual dates.

United Airways has the only non-stop flight for about $200 and the travel time is reasonable. (scroll down a bit on the page to this airline)

Roundtrip train travel with Amtrak is about the same price ($200); each trip would be approx. 14½ hours. Train would leave from South Portsmouth, OH and arrive Philly, PA

Greyhound $165 (refundable ticket--non-refundable: $148) approx. 15 hour trip with one transfer

Round Trip
Adults: 1

Departing: May 19, 2009

From: Chillicothe, OH

Miles: 542
Schedule: 1096
At: 04:50am

Returning: May 29, 2009 (Philly, PA)

Schedule: 1651
At: 05:55am
I understand you want to keep it under $200, but the travel by plane seems the best choice, re: accessibility and time.

It was difficult to find the closest bus and train stations to Mantua, besides Philly.

Also, be aware that certain discounts may be offered for students, senior citizens, etc., so inquire about this.

You can call Greyhound and Amtrak to get more specific info, which may help you:

Fare and schedule information
1-800-231-2222 [email protected]

If you need immediate attention concerning a reservation, call a service representative at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245)
I hope this info was of help to you and wish you much good luck with the trip.