Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

need ideas on how to frame masks for presentation to buyers.

need ideas on how to frame masks for presentation to buyers. need to protect from the elements over a period of time but need something cost-effective as i have many. tried
plexiglass (lucite) but it reflects too much and also for the bigger piecesw it is expensive.

Either has been over one hour or cancel my request and refund my money!! I can't wait here forever.

resubmitting..please respond

Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

Something that could do the job well is something i used for a long time before changing for thermos windows. it's a thermoplastic film that cost almost nothing, you can use it for small surface or really big ones.

Here is a video of it's installation, if done well it's completely invisible. you could use that on a wooden frame of wood or any material of your liking (i could see this really light done on a pine frame glued with wood glue and forming a 5 side box).

It's also very durable. I was not removing mine from the windows not requiring openning in the summer and they never degraded.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Martin

I'm sorry but this solution is not appropriate for what I am seeking. I have to present this to a higher end consumer outlet and I don't think they will accept this. I was considering using wood moldings as a frame and then mounting the masks using matting covered with glass at this point because it is very expensive. Is there a way I could make these moldings stressed (myself) or what kind of outlet would have them at an affordable price?

Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
I see, i was thinking it was for some kind of exposition in your boutique or something not involving much manipulation.

Can you tell me how much do you want a box to cost maximum?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It should cost no more than $10/-....max.$15.00. I saw an idea at the framer's that I liked. I could just mount the mask on a board/matting, covered with fabric (burlap), and then put a wood molding around it. The molding I saw was very beautiful, but rough-looking, kind of went with the mask. It was also stressed wood. Either I could do this myself or have someone do it for me. But I need ideas to keep it within my $ limit. Also, is Krylon the best spray to protect the mask.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Also, I forgot to mention, I do not want glass any more. It will just be open. Thanks.
Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
It depend of the Tools you have. If you buy already made molding it would not be much work using something like that (perhaps one of your friend can lend you one)

You can glue that with typical wood white glue and it will be solid if you strap it under pressure while it dry.

About Krylon, i guess it would be durable but i am not a fan of this kind of stuff. You did not mentioned what material compose your masks but if they need protection i guess they might be in wood or a porous material? For wood i like beewax a lot.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The material is palm fronds and by the time I am done with the paint they harden

like wood, so I suppose beeswax would be great. I am not too happy about stuff

like Krylon either...I have to wear a mask for protection and it isn't good for the environment either especially since my work is done on a material from nature!! Defeats the purpose. So thanks for the beeswax suggestion. Please confirm this for me....if it would be adding a protective coat and then I will accept.

Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
Yes it would protect. It's not perfect but it's fairly good. The oldest piece coated with this i have here barely yellowed after 20 year. It's also OK with light erosion, i have a turned wood pot i put my loose change in it and it's still not scratched in the bottom.

Just try on some sample before doing it on your work. Also the more layer of coating , the more protection. Once the coating get very old it might crackle a bit and appear as a 10% yellow filter. At that point it's usually possible to remove it with sand paper and apply a new one.