Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

first my husband fertalized half of our yard with fertalizer

first my husband fertalized half of our yard with fertalizer that was left over from last year and had gotten wet in the bag, now he fertalized the rest of the yard with ner fertalizer but left the hose and sprinkler
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hello,Customer

What is your question?

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I wasn't finished with my question and then I accidentally must have posted it. My question is, shouldn't all items be removed from the lawn before fertalizing it? My husband argues that leaving the hose spread out across about 40 feet with a large osolating sprinkler attached to it won't cause a problem, that the fertalizer/weed killer will spread out as it gets wet and therefore all of the grass will still get the benifits. (He did this right up the center of our lawn with the sprinkler right in front of our decorative plants, couldn't be in a more notacible place). Who is right? He did one side with fertalizer left over from last year that got wet in the bag so he had it air dry before using it then with new fertalizer he did the other side and left items onth lawn. Last year he fertalized right next to our new stamped concrete patio and pitted it, so I am upset and would like to know what to expect form this years fertalizing.
Thank you
Cheryl
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, Cheryl, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

I agree with you that the lawn should be completely clear, so the fertilizer can be spread evenly and work efficiently. Last year's faux pas causing the unfortunate pitting of your concrete patio may have occurred due to the components contained in your fertilizer. The following will provide good guidelines re: efficient fertilizing and preparation:

http://www.ames.com/lawnmaintenance.html (scroll all the way down)

I hope the job turns out beautifully!

Cher