General Jay
General Jay, Problem Solver
Experience:  General contractor, project manager, excellent problem solving skills, retired professional athlete.
Type Your Question Here...

How old is my Hobart M. Cable Piano, baby grand, serial number

How old is my Hobart M. Cable Piano, baby grand, serial number #2055?
Thank you for using Just Answer!

I just want to confirm that this is the correct serial number. Hobart M. Cable pianos typically had a 5 or 6 number serial number. The four digit numbers were also used to make parts for assembly at the factory and can be found on the piano.

If the number was found on a rectangular plate or harp then this is probably the correct serial number. Please review and let me know if this is correct

Thank you,
Jay T.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Jay T,
     I looked over the entire piano and this is the only number. Sorry, I am not familiar with the terminology here, but the number is XXXXX into the sound board thru an oval in the harp at the very front of the piano. No other number is XXXXX
    Hope this is of help. If you wish I can photograph the number for you.
    Thank you for getting back to me so promptly.
PS: The last piano tuner (2 years ago) told us the piano was built in 1905 but I have not been able to confirm that. I know it has been our family for at least 80 years.
Thank you for the additional information.

I am attaching a couple links that will help in locating serial numbers just in case you may not have looked in these areas.

The serial number for Hobart M. Cable pianos in 1905 would be 15300. The company was established in 1900 and the only serial numbers that are 4 digits were the years 1901, 1902, and 1903. Every year after that has a serial number of 5 or 6 numbers. Using this information I would infer that the piano was made in either 1901, 1902, or 1903.

If this has been helpful, please click the green accept icon. Feel free to post any follow up questions you may have.

Thank you,
Jay T.