Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

what does All rights reserve mean

what does "All rights reserve" mean
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.

'All Rights Reserved', means that a copyrighted, written piece of work may not be duplicated or copied. You can read more about this, here:

http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/copyrights/a/infringement_2.htm

Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i wrote all the lyrical raps (writings) and the description of the front cover of the cd and back cover of the cd, and explained in a synopsis, what im talking about. should i write it this way at the bottom of the title page, because im about to registered it in the library of congress, "Copyright(the copyright symbol)All Rights Reserve (my name)?

Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.

Yes, if this is an original piece of writing, on your part, and you are going to copyright it and register it in the Library of Congress, then including the copyright symbol and writing 'All Rights Reserved', followed by your name, would be appropriate. However, please understand that simply writing this phrase, 'All Rights Reserved' does not guarantee your copyright of the material; you must apply to have it copyrighted with the U.S. Copyright Office.

Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
understood, then how do i do that, and do i do that before i register it? how do i copyright it?
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,

You can copyright it at any U.S. copyright office. You can get more details on how to do this, here:

http://www.directlegal.com/?gclid=CMXk9vv09JkCFQSF7Qod8WkaSA

Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
simple question, you single?
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,

Simple answer: I'm flattered, but we're not allowed to provide personal information to customers.   : )

If you found my answer helpful, it would be appreciated if you could please click 'accept'. Thanks!

Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i apologize for being silly, i promise this is my last question, and i will do as you said, so you get paid, because you were helpful. Although i haven't gone to the site, directlegal, a librarian told me that onced your worked is finished, it is automatically copyright, it earns that automatically. I already registered the work in the Library of Congress, is my work somewhat protected, although i haven't gone to directlegal? Do I have any rights? If I show to it anyone without having gone to directlegal, and they use it without my permission, do i have legal basis to sue them?
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply.

No apologies necessary. : )

If your work is already published and registered in the Library of Congress, yes, you should be protected, but copyrighting your work is always in your best interest. You can read more about this, here:

"What is the difference between mandatory deposit (in the Library of Congress) and copyright registration?

Mandatory deposit (17 U.S.C. section 407) requires the owner of copyright or the exclusive right of distribution to deposit in the Copyright Office for the use of the Library of Congress two complete copies of the best edition within 3 months after a work is published. Section 408 of the copyright law, for a fee, provides the option to formally register the work with the U.S. Copyright Office. This registration process provides a legal record of copyright ownership as well as additional legal benefits in cases of infringement. Optional registration fulfills mandatory deposit requirements."

From: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/ where I think you'll understand more about the copyright process, by reading their FAQs. They say that once your original work is published, it is 'automatically' copyrighted, so the librarian was correct, but it's still recommended to copyright, to protect yourself further. If someone used your work without your permission, you would most likely have a legal basis to sue them, but I'm not a lawyer, so I couldn't say for sure. The copyright, in addition to the registration with the Library of Congress, would come in handy in a legal case, if anyone chose to use your work without permission.

I hope this helped you further.

Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my work is not published, and i made it clear when i registered it in the Library of Congress, I simply printed it out, and getting ready to show it to people who might be interested?, just asking if I am somewhat protected, plus I showed to other people, who are witnesses that I wrote it? am I somewhat protected?
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,

Yes, if it's registered in the Library of Congress, I would say you are somewhat protected, especially if your have witnesses that will testify to the fact that you wrote this, if it should ever come to a legal issue. However, you will feel more protected if you copyrighted your work, then no one could steal it from you and pass it off as their own, without a legal suit filed by you.

Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist