Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

My Grandads occupation was a Stationary Engineer what exactly

My Grandads occupation was a Stationary Engineer what exactly is this
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

You won't know exactly what he was doing just with this title as it's quite vague, and it's usually subdivided by class.

A bit of history: When the industrial revolution started, a new group of worker called engineer emerged (that is why the word engine is in it, the term Romain empire engineer was never used before that time as there was no engine). Those where more operators and maintainers or machinery, not designers like for the modern term.

Stationary engineer used to work with equipment that was stationary, like pump, heating system, industrial boiler and all the thing you can find in a plant. The term stationary separated them from other engineer of the time, like marine and locomotive engineer.

If you know where your Grand-father made is career and around what time, look at what major industry was predominant in that region and you should have a good idea of what he was doing (the smaller the town, the easiest it's to say).