Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

Hello, I recieved a Winchester 30-30 model 94 from my father.

Hello, I recieved a Winchester 30-30 model 94 from my father. The serial # XXXXX XXXXX and i believe it was made sometime in 1926. looks to be all original. the only damage is that :old faithfull" has been carved into the stock and it has about 16 hash marks on by the name. Looking for a ball park on this gun to determin if i need insurance on it.
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

It seem to be damaged (especially bad if it's on the name). Also, something carved reduce the value a lot. That said, a 94 model have a premium compared to the 64 model.

Here is some valuation for 30-30 that should give you a good idea of how it's worth:
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/show_inventory.php?catID=14&subcatID=178
From my personal knowledge of how something damaged loses value, i would say mint it would be worth $1500 but damaged, around $900.

I don't think this need an insurance. As for all guns you should keep it in a locked place anyway, and gun are not something that get damaged by smoke, like electronics or clothings.