danny541, Top General Researcher
Experience:  Just enjoy researching in all areas.
Type Your Question Here...

use newtons first law of motion to explain why airbags in cars

Customer Question

use newtons first law of motion to explain why airbags in cars are important during head on collisions
Category: General
Expert:  danny541 replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Newton's 1st law states that an object in motion stays in motion unless acted upon by an external force.

In a car accident, that means that the drive will continue forward at the speed he/she was traveling just before the accident unless something slows their moving.

Both seat belts and air bags slow the driver quickly enough to avoid the driver's head traveling through the windshield and slowly enough that the driver isn't stopped immediately.

In particular, air bags provide a cushion which slows the driver's head and upper body,stopping the energy that the driver had before he slams into a solid object in the car.

Please remember to click the green accept button, so I receive payment for my answer!

Positive feedback is greatly appreciated !