Dave Z
Dave Z, Internet Researcher
Experience:  top of graduation class, researcher, great math skills, jack of all trades
Type Your Question Here...

how long does it take to cash out 401k after quiting my job,i

how long does it take to cash out 401k after quiting my job,i want to move to az from ct and this the only money i have .
Good morningCustomerand welcome to Just Answer!

Unfortunately there is no certain amount of time that each and every 401k plan has for you to be able to withdraw your 401k after you quit your job. With some plans you may have your money in as quick as a few weeks, but others you could end up waiting a year. It all depends on a variety of factors, but mainly how your plan was set up and what the withdraw rules are upon termination. Some plans only process transactions quarterly or bi-annually. You will need to contact your boss, or preferably, your plan administrator to get a good idea about how long it will take to obtain your money from your 401k. You could also try locating your 401k enrollment packet that you received when you set up your 401k and that should have the appropriate information in there as well. Best of luck with the move and everything and hopefully your plan is set up to recieve your money shortly after you quit your job. Let me know if you need any further information. Have a great upcoming weekend and please remember to leave feedback after you have clicked the Green Accept button.