Viki, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I have eleven years experience writing statewide educational tests for all levels.
Type Your Question Here...

When does the President Elect become the official President

Customer Question

When does the President Elect become the official President? I think it's noon on the20th, but what if the inauguration is delayed?
Category: General
Expert:  Viki replied 7 years ago.

At wharever time it takes place, the President elect becomes the official President when he takes the oath of office and he will not be President until the oath-taking is complete.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I thought it was noon on the 20th of Jan. The oath-taking could be a day or two later. Have I got this totally wrong?
Expert:  Viki replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry; I was wrong with my first answer. The new presidential term begins at 12:00 noon on January 20, whether the oath is taken or not. This is the wording of the Twentieth Amendment

"The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January..."

This amendment (passed in 1933) supercedes the original constitutional wording where the oath-taking was the begining of a new term.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm new to this site. Do I need to accept and remit again? Or is paying once enough?