Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate, United States Traveler, Information Finder
Type Your Question Here...

Is there a law school in Belarus called The University of Finance

Is there a law school in Belarus called The University of Finance and Law?
Category: General
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

Hi there!

How did you hear about this school? Do you have any other information that could help in my search?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Scott,

The girl that I'm supposed to be sponsoring is graduating from there later this month and she told me about it. I'm not sure scott if i'm being set up for an internet sting.

Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

Ok, just a few more questions, so that I can better understand what's going on.

How did you first come in contact with this girl?

Have you met her?

Has she asked for money?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

she also gave me a web site but i'm still not sure if it's legitimate

there is no address, no contact telephone numbers, just an e-mail address which is a .com in a country where everything seemes to be a .by

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I met her on a web site months ago and have been communicating since. She says not to send her the money but to her University which has this Student Visa Program (supposedly) she will pay me back when she gets here and starts working.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The only way I have to check on the validity of this is to find out 1. if the school exists. 2 to check out the bank account they want me to wire the money into and make sure it's a University account and not some individul's account. I will call the bank on Monday.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no we have exchanged photos but I have not met her. I sent her some flowers an hour ago which will arrive today Sat and they will take a picture of the occasion to check out herself and her address. If it's a scam nothing should come of that little endeavor of mine.
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for that link and other info. That's very helpful.

I'd be quite sure that the school doesn't exist. I have a number of reasons for thinking that.

First of all, the website was just created two months ago! (November 18, 2008)

DANGEROUS URL REMOVED/2008-11-18/2.html

Next, it is owned and operated by someone in Emoryville, California! whois-search/

(it is also administered and hosted in California)

The page is in Russian. In Belarus, they do speak Russian, but I would expect the page to be in Belrussian. Also, some of the text is strangely in English! (the Travel and Contact links, for example)

Here is a Google Translation of the page -- you can follow the links to see the other pages translated as well:

I would not trust this person... please DO NOT send money, since it's a scam. Anyone can get a photo of a "pretty girl" to send, pretending it's themselves. The bank account you'd send the money to does not belong to this girl... it's the scammer's account. I'm quite sure of that. Since there is no school, they have set up phony accounts in the "schools" name, but it's really the scammer's accounts.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this, and if you're all set, thanks for accepting!

Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

Sorry, the links didn't come through... here they are:

(put those two lines together)

(put those three lines together)

Let me know if you have any questions,