Andrea J Chee
Andrea J Chee, Writing and Editing Professional
Experience:  25+ years experience. Mensan, BA (Hons) History, researcher, journalist.
Type Your Question Here...

What kind of metal are Purple Hearts(Military medals) made of

No Comment Added

Many thanks for posting your question on Just Answer.

The modern Purple Heart is of 4-piece construction. The main base of the medal is a heart-shaped metal planchet of bronze gilt. The device of the bust of XXXXX XXXXX is also bronze gilt. The purple part is a plastic insert (was enamel on medals up until the Second World War, during which time there was a transitional period when both enamel and plastic hearts were being awarded), and there is a small soft-soldered enamelled shield and wreath at the top of the heart.

I hope this information is of use to you. If you require further clarification of this answer, please do not hesitate to ask.

Please click the green accept button if you are satisfied with the answer I have given. Positive feedback and bonuses are always very much appreciated!