Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate, United States Traveler, Information Finder
3546829
Type Your Question Here...

How to I write a letter to the editor on the new york ...

Customer Question

How to I write a letter to the editor on the new york times? I am responding to an article and I do not know how to.
Category: General
Expert:  Scott replied 9 years ago.

Hi there,

Here is the information:

Letters to the Editor
The New York TimesXXXXXbr />New York, NY 10018

Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Email (without the spaces): letters @ nytimes.com

Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/membercenter/help/lettertoeditor.html

Let me know if you have any questions before you press "Accept".

-Scott

Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience: MIT Graduate, United States Traveler, Information Finder
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Scott's Post: for the email address: i put into the url : www.letters @ nytimes.com. Now i put with my letter attached. What kind of format should i use (sorry for the second question)? That is cool your a MIT graduate. My sister wants to go to MIT.
Expert:  Scott replied 9 years ago.

You need to use the email address without those spaces, like this:

[email protected]

Format it like this:

To the editor:
Write what you want to say here...
Sincerely,
Your Name
Your Address
Your Phone Number

You must provide your name, address, and phone number if you want them to publish it.

MIT was great! I spent 6 years there: 4 for undergraduate, and then another 2 to get my masters. I'd be happy to discuss it further with you, if you have questions about MIT in general, or about specific programs.

Let me know if you have any other questions before you "Accept".

-Scott

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
My sister wants to go into engineering. I guess the question is "how does someone get into MIT" for sure (besides getting a good SAT score and an excellent academic background).
Expert:  Scott replied 9 years ago.

That is indeed the "million dollar" question!

As far as SAT scores, the math score is much more important than the verbal/writing scores. However, there are other things that are more important than SATs at all.

Yes, the academic background is very important. They would prefer to see an A- in an AP class than an A in the standard version. She should take the most challenging courses her high school offers, especially in math and science.

Extracurriculars are extremely important. These are things like sports, clubs, and volunteering -- things she gets no school credit or pay to do. They should be varied and show that she has more than one main skill. Having a job is less important, from what I've heard.

The essay is also crucial. It should start with a catchy lead sentence to make sure that the admissions people give it a thorough read.

I'll let you know if I think of anything more.

-Scott

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Scott's Post: what courses (that are challenging) should she take? ( she has taken calculus, statistics as well as the 4 other general maths that people take in high school). Does a prep school help? What are some other key things that help.
Expert:  Scott replied 9 years ago.

Bascially, she needs to take as many AP courses as she can -- and do well in them. That's really the key for the academic side of the application.

I didn't go to a prep school, nor did any of my friends, so I can't comment on that.

I'll let you know if I think of any more than what I wrote above.

-Scott

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Scott's Post: when you say put my address you mean to put my physical address. There are letters published with only city and state.
Expert:  Scott replied 9 years ago.

Yes, you must include your full physical address. They will only publish the city and state, but you must send the whole thing.

-Scott

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Do i have to address the editor's name (Joel Stein)? Or i just put letter to the editor?
Expert:  Billy replied 9 years ago.

Hello. Scott is away right now, but I saw you were online, and I didn't want to leave you hanging.

Just put Letter to the Editor, unless the NY Times has more than one editor.

And please don't accept my answer. You've already accepted Scott's. I'm just helping him out, since he's not here.

Have a good day.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Billy's Post: Thanks.
Expert:  Billy replied 9 years ago.
You're very welcome.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
can you tell the moderator to shut this question down