MsWest, Senior Research Associate
Experience:  Experience in research, genealogy, writing, real estate law, business, finance, health.
Type Your Question Here...

Why are manholes round

No Comment Added
Category: General
Expert:  MsWest replied 8 years ago.

Hello, guy, and welcome to Just Answer!

Manholes are round to accommodate their covers, which are round for several reasons. First of all, it is so they don't fall in the open man hole. Secondly, being round, they can be easily rolled, making them easier to move than if they were square or some other shape.

Here is a website with more information on manholes and their covers:

I hope this answers your question, but if you need more information please let me know.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to MsWest's Post: there has to be safety or something other than to accommidate a rolling lid.
Expert:  MsWest replied 8 years ago.

The safety factor enters the picture, because the round covers cannot drop down into the manhole. They will not fit, no matter how they are positioned. Therefore, the workers below are protected from the cover being inadvertently knocked into the manhole and injuring them.

Another shape of lid (such as oval, square or rectangular) can drop into the manhole and potentially cause injuries to those working in the manhole.

I hope this better answers your question.