MsWest, Senior Research Associate
Experience:  Experience in research, genealogy, writing, real estate law, business, finance, health.
Type Your Question Here...

how do i get an envelope with a postmark from a few days ago

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No Comment Added
Expert:  Kraig Grayson replied 8 years ago.

You can check your local post office and ask them if they have any. Or you can ask your friends who may have received a letter in an envelope a few days ago prior to today. But your best bet would be the post office.

More help available if needed.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Kraig Grayson's Post: The issue is that I needed to have mailed something out by a certain date and so I need an envelope that is postmarked by that past date that I can use to mail the item out. Thanks.
Expert:  MsWest replied 8 years ago.

There is a problem with what you have in mind. First of all, because a postmark is made at the post office when something is mailed, it is illegal to re-use an already postmarked piece of mail (envelope or package) without obscuring the previous postmark. Second, if you did so, the old postmark would be marked out by the post office, and a new postmark with the current and new date of mailing would be applied. So, the letter would still show just when it was actually mailed.

I know this isn't what you hoped to hear, but, knowing this, you won't be wasting your time by trying to find an envelope with a postmark from a previous date.

I have seen letters on occasion that are in a postmarked envelope from a particular past date. Then that envelope has been placed inside a new envelope in an attempt to "prove" the letter was already mailed, but returned and is now being resent. Doing that is kind of "iffy," as most people realize it is an attempt to prove a previous mailing.

Thanks for asking your question on Just Answer. If you need further help with this, please let us know. Otherwise, please click the ACCEPT button. We look forward to helping you with your future questions.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
But there are some services that will put the postmark and show that postage has been paid on the envelope when you have them send it. Aren´t there any that can backdate that mark?
Expert:  MsWest replied 8 years ago.
Not legally. That is why people do as I mentioned and put an envelope with an older postmark inside another one with a new postmark.