danny541
danny541, Top General Researcher
Experience:  Just enjoy researching in all areas.
4284543
Type Your Question Here...

What are differences in Methodist and Presbyterian beliefs ...

What are differences in Methodist and Presbyterian beliefs and doctrines?
Category: General
Expert:  danny541 replied 6 years ago.
Any certain church ? Or just these beliefs ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to danny541's Post: No certain church....just a compare/contrast between the Methodist faith and the Pres. faith. I need this info to share with a family member who is considering leaving Methodism and joining Presbyterian.
Expert:  danny541 replied 6 years ago.

Methodists are historically Wesleyan-Arminian. Presbyterians are historically Calvinist. Both denominations have become more factual over the years, so in some congregations the differences are less important than they have been in history. The most obvious differencein history times is that Methodists believe that if a person becomes a Christian and then backslides or becomes in a back slidden place, their salvation can be lost which is a part of (Arminianism).

Presbyterians believe that if a person becomes a Christian, their salvation cannot be lost which is (Calvinism).

There are actually 5 different points of differences between Arminians and Calvinists.

Sometimes people hold to one or more of these positions, but not all:

Depravity - Methodists believe that man is fallen, but that he retains the capability to ask God to save him.

Presbyterians believe that man can't seek God at all, unless God first asks him to do so.

Election - Methodists believe that God gives salvation to those who believe and have belief in him.

Presbyterians believe that God has already chosen who he wants to be saved, regardless of the faith of man.

Atonement - Methodists believe God offers atonement to everyone no matter what they have done., but that man must beleive and accept it to receive it.

Presbyterians believe that atonement goes only so far.- that God does not allow all to be saved, only the ones he wants.

Grace - Methodist believe that God wants man to come to him, but that man has the the last say to keep himself away from God.

If you need anything else , please let me know and I will answer to the best of my ability.

Presbyterians believe that Grace is greatly desired. If God wants you, you can not resist him.

Perseverance - Methodists believe that a follower can turn away from God and be lost. Presbyterians believe that "once saved always saved".

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to danny541's Post: Are there any differences in matter of death, dying, life after death?

Are there any differences in the use the sacrements (baptism and communion)?
Expert:  danny541 replied 6 years ago.

Hello again, no they are all still the same. Presbyterians and Methodist, still do everything the same the difference is in the way that they believe in some things, Presbyterian believes that only a certain people will be saved, that its already ordained who will make it and who won't.

But the rest is still the same, there is a heaven and hell. The baptism still is at the age where the individual makes the decision to be baptized. They both believe there is life after death, except the Presbyterian believes only certain people will be in heaven not all, no matter how much they tried to live a ChristXXXXX XXXXXfe, and felt they were saved.

I hope this answers all your questions. Good Luck !

danny541, Top General Researcher
Experience: Just enjoy researching in all areas.