MsWest, Senior Research Associate
Experience:  Experience in research, genealogy, writing, real estate law, business, finance, health.
Type Your Question Here...

Is ham fine to eat has it wasnt in the refrigerator last night?

We left a ham in the oven overnight  the ham was already cooked and leftover from Christmas. I know pork is cured, but is the ham still OK to eat since it wasn't in the refrigerator last night?

Category: General
Expert:  MsWest replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer,

Bacteria begin to grow quickly, and the ham most certainly is not safe to eat at all now. Unfortunately, all you can do is throw it away. It is not even safe to give it to animals (and the salty nature of ham is also unhealthy for dogs and cats).

I have done something similar myself . . . several times. I know how hard it is to have to throw out food like this. I have wanted to kick myself when I did it. But, honestly, it is very, very dangerous to eat food that has been left out, particularly meat.

Check out #4 on this website by the FDA:

I hope this answers your question, but if you need more information about this please let me know.

Thanks for trusting Just Answer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.