Jan, Research Analyst
Experience:  Home improvement/repair, dog owner, tinkerer, vehicle maintenance/repair, environment due diligence
Type Your Question Here...

My Rca 60 Rear Projection Tv P60920bl Has No

My Rca 60" Rear Projection Tv P60920bl Has No Sound!! Help!

I was watching TV early in the morning and the volume was working fine on my RCA 60" P60920BL then ithe volume shut off. I figured i sat on the remote and hit mute but that isn''t the case. I''ve unplugged this thing for over 5 hrs. No luck. The picture is perfect the volume is gone. Maybe someone can help tell me what the proper name for the rca auido/video is called? Maybe someone can help me? PLEASE HELP!! I have parts taken out of the TV the audio/video IO #1518844D and(NNN) NNN-NNNN. I can take pictures of the items. I think these could be bad.

I'm going to try and help you. Can you tell me if you have gone to the tv menu and looked at the audio section to ensure that the speakers are "on"? Also, can you tell me if the tv is run through a stereo or other audio device or do you run it as is with no other component? Once I hear from you, we can take it from there.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Jan's Post: I suppose I should have stated that also. :) Yes I've been in the audio menu numerous times to make sure the speakers are on and the mute is not activated. I did have some speakers running to the back of the TV for surround sound. My stereo was connected to have the audio jacks to have sound pushed a lot better for more bass on the sub. I hope this info can help.

By any chance did you try to adjust the volume by using the control panel on the TV instead of using the remote? I'm still researching but wanted to find out if you've done that. I'm sure you are not happy about this situation. I have a rear projection TV myself and I don't know what I'd do if it went down.

Another question and it's going to sound bizarre...were you watching Spike TV or the Speed channel when your sound went out? Also, do you have GuidePlus (+) on your tv?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yeah I've tried the volume adjust on the TV before i posted my first question. It's a pain in the butt this issue is. I've even taken off the front and back panels of the TV. I've tested the mounted speakers in the TV on my stereo alone and they work fine. I think the sound chip (which ever it is) went out. I've looked just about everywhere for a replacement or information on which it is. I'm stuck.

When the sound went out I believe I was watching "Yes Dear" on TBS.

Sorry for the delay. We had to go to family's house for the holiday.

OK, that's good information. The reason I asked about what you were watching is that some folks who own RCA projection tvs have had problems in watching Spike and the Speed channel through their cable system due to some kind of a spike. Also, do you have GuidePlus on your remote? I'll get back to you as soon as I hear back. Hope you had a good holiday today.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No problem. We went to my mother's for Christmas dinner. I meant to wish you a Merry Christmas. Yes we had a great holiday. My little girl got spoiled all day. :D Hope you had a great holiday also.

Ok my remote has GUIDE on it but I don't see GuidePlus.
But I was able to get sound from my TV by using the cable box rca jacks. I run the rca cable from the cable box to the stereo receiver and now i have sound. Only annoying part of the whole thing now is that if I want to play video games I have to switch the RCA cable to the other set of RCA jacks for the games. Only a two step deal but annoying when at first I could just be lazy and push one button for video games. Pretty confusing to explain but so far so good. Plus my little girl can play/hear guitar hero when she plays.
I would still like to figure out why the sound went out on the TV. Also how to fix it but for now my family is just happy we have sound. I truly appreciate the time you have spent helping me. You are really great. Thank you so much. I'm still up for figuring out why the sound is out.
What do I need to do to pay you for helping me just hit accept?

Before you do the "accept" , I'd like to do a little more legwork based on the info you just provided. Hang tight and let me see what is out there. What you don't want to have happen is only a temporary fix with the RCA cable and have the sound get blasted again. I'll be checking this out and will get back to you later this afternoon. Great to hear that you had a good holiday. We went to my Mom's and Dad's too. Thanks for the well wishes. OK, I'll get back to you with my findings.

Jan Smile

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No problem. Thank you so much. I truly appreciate all your effort. I didn't think about it only being a temp fix. That would suck if the sound goes out again. I will check for your answer later today. Going to have breakfast then just spend time with the family. You have a good one Jan.

Hi Jay,

Well, I've found nothing concrete for your particular model of RCA. However, I did find a very very interesting discussion thread (one that includes an RCA rep) that leads me to believe that the problem is related to the cable service and interference with RCA TVs in particular. Although your TV model is not mentioned, I can't help but wonder if it isn't universal among all RCA TVs.

That's why I'm thinking that it might happen again. If you can remember that particular channel you were watching when the sound took a dive, I would stay away from it just to be on the safe side. Have a great evening.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you Jan. I really appreciate all your help. Hopefully the sound will remain. If it does go out this time I will be back maybe to get more advice and or call out the SEARS Tech to come look at the TV. You have been very helpful and kept me from just selling this dang tv. Much appreciated. Thanks again my friend.